The Big #TTIPalarm Festival
Would you like to know what the latest developments are relating to the TTIP and CETA treaties, and what is contained in the #TTIPleaks documents? Are you curious which types of trade arrangement contribute to a sustainable world?
If so, then come to the Big #TTIPalarm Festival with information, discussion, art and TTIP-free food in Pakhuis de Zwijger on 29 May 2016.
The TTIP negotiations are accelerating. The treaty between the European Union and Canada (CETA) is nearly completed, but the negotiators still have a long way to go and civil resistance is growing! More and more people understand that these treaties represent a threat to environmental, labour and consumer protection and that the promised economic growth is a pipe dream.
At the Big #TTIPalarm Festival, leaders of the International Stop TTIP movement, such as John Hilary and Nick Dearden, will speak, and there will be music and the option for dinner.
The programme starts at 2:00 p.m. and finishes at 10:00 p.m.
Normal tickets cost € 5. A ticket including TTIP-free dinner costs € 14.50.
The programme has been developed by TNI in cooperation with SOMO, Milieudefensie, Greenpeace and foodwatch. The official language will be English. You can find more information and purchase your ticket here(opens in new window) .
- John Hilary is Executive Director of War on Want, a London charity that fights the root causes of poverty and human rights violations, and author of The Poverty of Capitalism: Economic Meltdown and the Struggle of What Comes Next (2013).
- Nick Dearden is Director of Global Justice Now, a campaign group in the UK that mobilises people for change and acts in solidarity with those fighting injustice, particularly in the global south. Previously, he was Director of the Jubilee Debt Campaign.
- Amélie Canonne is Coordinator of the Alternative Trade Mandate Alliance and Chairperson of AITEC, an organisation that gives political debate its importance back by working together with professionals and activists. She currently represents France in the European Stop TTIP movement.
- Ewald Engelen Ewald Engelen is Professor of Financial Geography at the University of Amsterdam, where he conducts research on the global financial system. He is the author of An Accident in Slow Motion (2012), Shadow Elite (2014) and The Canary in the Coal Mine (2016). As a writer and activist, he is known for his criticism of the euro and TTIP.
- Pascoe Sabido is an activist and researcher at Corporate Europe Observatory, a research and campaign group that publicises the influence of corporate lobbyists on European political decision-making.
- Paul de Clerck is the coordinator of the Economic Justice Programme of Friends of the Earth Europe. He has 15 years’ experience campaigning against the lack of responsibility of the business community and lobbying for transparency on a European, national and international level.