Before filing a complaint, it is important to identify your desired outcomes, because these may influence your choice for a specific grievance mechanism over another. Examples of desired outcomes could be:
- Change the behaviour or policy of a company/institution/government
- Prevent or stop company operations and activities
- Gain compensation and remedy for affected communities and workers
- Achieve a fact-finding mission to establish violations
- Bring political attention to your case
- Raise public awareness and increase pressure by the public on a company
- Encourage divestment in the company by investors that prioritise sustainable development and adherence to social and environmental standards.