Step 6: Prepare for the complaint
Once you have studied the rules and procedures of the grievance mechanism you intend to use and understand what is required, it is time to prepare for the complaint. Your preparation could involve:
- Researching the corporate entities you intend to name in the complaint and their involvement in the violations
- Researching and gathering evidence on the violations
- Analysing the social and environmental codes of conducts, standards, policies and other frameworks that apply to your case
- Building consensus among partners
- Identifying how the complaint fits within your wider strategy to achieve remedy or redress
- Seeking the advice of civil society organisations like SOMO that are experienced in filing complaints at grievance mechanisms.