Are you passionate about investigating tax avoidance by multinationals? Do you want to be part of an international movement that fights for tax justice and ending inequality? Do you have strong research and writing skills and are you a team player? If so, we are looking for you!
SOMO is currently looking for a tax researcher to join SOMO as part of the Economic Justice Team.
SOMO investigates multinationals. Independent, factual, critical and with a clear goal: a fair and sustainable world, in which public interests outweigh corporate interests. We conduct action-oriented research to expose the impact and unprecedented power of multinationals and promote fundamental changes in our economic system to stop and reverse the harms done by multinationals. Cooperating with hundreds of organisations around the world, we ensure that our information arrives where it has the most impact: communities, courtrooms, civil society organisations, media and politicians and more.
SOMO employs a staff of 40 people and is based in Amsterdam.
- Conduct (desk) research and analysis on multinational corporations related to tax and other issues such as trade, investment, finance, accountability and liability (databases, online information);
- Take part in the Tax Justice movement (Tax Justice NL) and integrate SOMO research in the strategies of civil society organisations and networks to strengthen these groups, mobilise and activate different stakeholders;
- Develop research proposals, and initiate new projects, in collaboration with international partners and networks;
- Engage in outreach activities related to research results both in public (debates, advocacy, lectures) and in (social) media (blogs, articles, letters);
- Develop and improve research methods:
- Collaborate with and maintain an international network of partner organisations;
- Manage and coordinate research projects.
- Relevant academic degree;
- Knowledge of the workings of corporate tax avoidance, tax policies and affinity with Tax Justice;
- Experience in research and cooperation with different organisations;
- Strong analytical skills, knowledge of relevant research methodologies (preferably also knowledge of corporate research methods and analysing big data);
- Clear vision on the mission and strategies of SOMO;
- Strong networking experience and skills;
- Strong project management skills;
- Excellent communication and writing skills both in Dutch and English, other languages are a plus;
- An exciting and challenging position within a national and international network;
- An informal and dynamic work environment with the opportunity to undertake new initiatives;
- Initial one-year contract, with high likelihood of extension;
- A competitive gross monthly salary between € 2,840 and € 3,620 for working 36 hours a week (0.9 fte), depending on relevant work experience.
To be considered for this position, you must be a National of a European Union member State or have a valid work permit for the European Union.
Please send your application (a letter of interest and CV in English, along with examples of an article or report that you have written), by e-mail to Irene Keizer via firstname.lastname@example.org before 13 June 2022.
SOMO believes in the power and necessity of a diverse and inclusive organisation. We therefore strive for more diversity and better representation of people with different backgrounds.