Are you a strong “people and results” oriented manager, experienced in leading teams of highly qualified experts in their field? Do you share the ideals, reflected in SOMO’s mission and do you want to contribute to effective strategies for change? Do you know what it takes to develop an expert organization, support professional growth and cooperation in teams and networks? SOMO is looking for a Team Manager (0.8 – 0.9 FTE)
The Centre for Research on Multinational Corporations (SOMO) is a critical, independent, not-for-profit knowledge centre on multinationals. Since 1973 we have investigated multinational corporations and the impact of their activities on people and the environment. We provide custom-made services (research, consulting and training) to non-profit organisations and the public sector. We strengthen collaboration between civil society organisations through our worldwide network. In these three ways, we contribute to social, environmental and economic sustainability. SOMO employs a staff of 40 based in Amsterdam.
Steering and coaching: The Team Manager’s first responsibility is to steer and coach professionals within SOMO’s programs, both individually and as teams. The coaching is geared towards professional development, with a focus on the content of the work, as well as team development and cooperation within the program and within the organization. As a team manager you will be responsible for the quality of content of the program team’s research and the activities they perform. The team manager will ensure an outward, focused approach and develop or encourage initiatives to improve the work, build the networks and expand the outreach of SOMO’s target groups. Steering the team should focus on individual role responsibilities within the team and must be in line with the collective decisions taken by SOMO staff, and/or SOMO programs as well as the agreements made with SOMO’s partners, funders and clients.
Strategy development and fundraising: As a team manager you will have a clear vision of how to plan and conduct research into multinational corporations and human rights, equal distribution of welfare and power and sustainable development, as well as varied activities related to this research. As a team manager you will help maintain focus and planning within your teams as well as helping the team make strategic decisions. You will help guide your teams in their own fundraising objectives while your own network and skills will contribute to excellent fundraising proposals towards an international circle of funders and clients.
Organizational development: Using clear, transparent and inclusive decision making, participatory policy development and lean PME procedures, you and the two other MT members will be responsible for designing and guiding a process of organizational development aimed at maximizing impact and organizational resilience.
The management team of SOMO consists of three members including two team managers and the managing director. The two team managers are responsible for steering and coaching SOMO’s four program teams, the coordinators of the five networks SOMO hosts, and the SOMO services team. The managing director is responsible as executive board and for steering the support staff and the management team. The recruitment of a new team manager is part of the implementation of a new management structure. The new team manager’s skills, experience and ambitions will be considered when the final decisions are made with regards to dividing and sharing the responsibilities and tasks within the management team.
Who are you?
- You have a relevant academic degree and/or education in management and organizational development;
- You are an experienced team manager in a knowledge intensive organization;
- You are able to guide strategy development at the team level, manage decision making, steer on focus, foster cooperation and learning;
- You able to steer team members on role responsibility and balance individual freedom and accountability;
- You are able to align personal development with team focus and organizational goals; You can show skills and experience regarding HRM, PME, financial management, operational management, facilities and organizational development;
- You are able to support research processes and you are responsible for assuring the highest quality of research and activities of SOMO;
- You have network and a successful track record for successful international fundraising or acquisition of assignments.
- You are able to translate questions and demands of clients/funders into realistic high quality proposals, work plans and deliverable results;
- You have excellent communication skills both in Dutch and English, whilst other languages will be considered a plus.
- Management position in an internationally renowned, critical, independent, not-for-profit knowledge center;
- Opportunity to work with highly motivated and skilled researchers and experts;
- A challenging position working with an extensive national and international network;
- An informal work environment with the opportunity to undertake new initiatives;
- A 12-month contract with possibility of extension;
- Starting salary between € 3.560 and € 5.316 gross per month on a full-time basis (40 hours/week), depending on relevant work experience.
Email your letter of interest and CV, along with an English-language article or report that you have written, to Ronald Gijsbertsen (email@example.com). Applications must be received by 20th January 2019.
Due to the current composition of the team, SOMO would especially like to invite female candidates and candidates with a bicultural background to apply for this position.