Are you a passionate researcher with the drive to contribute to change with solid knowledge? Do you know how to reach, mobilize and activate among civil society organisations, policy makers, academics and other stakeholders with your research? Do you have experience in international networking? Do you have a clear vision how to change the current economic system to fight inequality and stimulate sustainable development? Do you have innovative ideas to counter public-loss-private-gain mechanisms? Do you have strong project management skills and are you a team player? We are looking for you!
SOMO is recruiting a researcher (32-36 hours) to join the Economic Justice Team. This team focusses on Tax Justice, Financial Reform, Trade and Investment regulation, Corporate Lobby and Corporate Law.
SOMO is an independent, not-for-profit research and network organisation working on social, ecological and economic issues related to sustainable development. Since 1973, SOMO has investigated multinational corporations and the consequences of their activities for people and the environment around the world. SOMO employs a staff of 40 people.
- Conduct research and analysis on multinational corporations related to tax, trade, investment, finance, accountability and liability;
- Integrate SOMO research in the strategies of civil society organisations and networks to strengthen these groups, mobilise and activate different stakeholders;
- Develop research proposals, and initiate new projects, in collaboration with international partners and networks;
- Engage in outreach activities related to research results both in public (debates, advocacy, lectures) and in (social) media (blogs, articles, letters);
- Develop and improve quantitative and qualitative research methods;
- Conduct desk research (databases, online information);
- Collaborate with and maintain an international network of partner organisations;
- Manage and coordinate projects.
- Relevant academic degree;
- Research experience related to two or more focus areas of the Economic Justice Team;
- Knowledge of international regulation and normative frameworks for multinational corporations;
- At least 3 years work experience in research and cooperation with different organisations;
- Strong analytical skills and knowledge of relevant research methodologies (preferably also knowledge of innovative methods related to analysis of big data and the use of ICT);
- Clear vision on the mission and strategies of SOMO;
- Strong networking experience and skills;
- Good fundraising skills and result-oriented work;
- Strong project management skills;
- Excellent communication skills both in Dutch and English, other languages are a plus;
- Innovative and creative approach to research and the presentation of information.
- A challenging position (32-36 hours), working with an extensive national and international network;
- An informal work environment with the opportunity to undertake new initiatives;
- A 12-month contract with possibility of extension;
- Salary between € 3,097 and € 4,162 gross per month on a full-time basis (40 hours/week), depending on relevant work experience.
Email your letter of interest and CV, along with an English-language article or report that you have written, to Ronald Gijsbertsen, Managing Director (email@example.com).
Please apply before Monday, 13 November 2017.
We are aware that potential applicants may have questions about the vacancy and the selection process. However, due to the significant number of expected applicants we regret we cannot answer questions.
Due to the current composition of the team, SOMO would especially like to invite candidates with a bicultural background to apply for this position.